Emergency Inspection Highlights Possible Failures in Council Homes

Urgent Electrical, Fire and Legionella Checks Left Outstanding
News article published: 10th July 2019
An emergency inspection at council homes in Canterbury, Thanet, Dover, Folkestone and Hythe has highlighted possible failures in regards to electrical safety, fire risks and checks for legionella. Recently it was revealed that 125 homes in the district of Kent fell victim to gas systems which had not been ruled legally safe to use, and many had also been left with other checks outstanding. There has already been a catalogue of serious failures from those who manage the homes and concerns have now been raised regarding the safety of tenants. A full report on further safety breaches is set to be revealed to the council's of Canterbury, Thanet, Dover, Folkestone and Hythe later this summer. Significant underspending along with below-par staff appointments, sub-standard reports and a lack of understanding are among criticisms of the housing operator. Source Reference: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/are-you-safe-in-your-council-house-207859/